Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pandan Cake Donuts

Express Your Inner Homer Simpson With An Asian Twist!


   I made delectable pandan flavoured donuts!!! Crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside. Donuts for dinner tonight! :D

   So in other news, we just finished off a ginormous 10kg bag of flour! :D That's like a huge milestone for me because I was probably too young to remember the last time we finished a whole bag. But now I use flour a lot because I stopped buying bread since mid march and have been making my own... sorta. See, I use a bread machine so it pretty much does all the work while I'm sleeping. But I did measure all the ingredients, plugged the machine in, and pressed the buttons. You have to give me some credit.


   Well, I begged to go to the store today to buy more flour because yesterday I found pandan extract at the Chinese supermarket and I just had to try making pandan flavoured donuts! If you don't know what pandan is, you're out of luck. I'm still not completely sure, but I know it's a Southeast Asian plant with green leaves that smell and taste like some combination of coconut, flowers, and deliciousness. Every time I smell it, I'm reminded of this jello looking Vietnamese steamed layer cake called Bánh Da Lợn. It's made of rice flour, tapioca starch and layers of green pandan and yellow mung bean flavoured cake. Reminds me of riding my bike with my sis to get Bánh mì (Vietnamese sub sandwiches) and discovering delectable pandan desserts.

   I made these donuts in my Bella mini donut maker and they taste so delicious and moist. This recipe is basically the same as my cinnamon sugar donuts but this time I used a mixture of however much of margarine was left and added butter to make 4 tbsp instead of vegetable oil. I also used almond milk instead of milk because I was curious of how it would taste. It still tastes like a donut and it's still moist inside so that's good. And obviously I left out the cinnamon and used pandan flavouring.

 

Pandan Cake Donuts

Servings: 21-23 Mini Donuts

   Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk (You can use any sort of milk. I used almond milk and it tasted great!)
1 egg
4 tbsp oil, melted butter or margarine
1/2-1tsp pandan flavouring

  

   Instructions

1. Stir together the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg, oil/melted butter/melted margarine, and pandan flavouring.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into a piping/sandwich bag and cut off the tip.
5. Pipe the batter into the preheated mini donut maker and bake for 3 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the finished donuts with icing sugar and eat them green donuts!



   Go ahead, take a bite! I'll look the other way. No one's stopping you. Express your inner Homer Simpson, with an Asian twist.
                                       -Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment